Author Topic: Increase Sniper Shooting Range  (Read 305 times)

Rated 3 times

Offline PlopZero

• Respect: +1/-5
  • Buster
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: PlopZero
  • Crew: [ O ]
Increase Sniper Shooting Range
« on: August 26, 2023, 10:53:48 pm »
« Last Rated on: August 27, 2023, 12:45:20 pm »
You read it in the title.

Some people are good at duel weapons, and suck at Sniper, some are the other way around. Sniper damage got nerfed enough based on range, but nerfing the damage range to 0 for players within scope sight defeats the idea of Sniper being a long range weapon and is actually annoying for regular users.

I hate shooting people with sniper who are clearly within the shooting range of a normal Sniper, but only getting the "ding" sound without any damage registered.

Offline Ahsoka_Tano

• Respect: +17/-24
  • A wolf in disguise
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: [TFLW]Alice
  • Discord name: WOLF#1193
  • Crew: Task Force Lone Wolf
Re: Increase Sniper Shooting Range
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 09:40:35 am »

Player stream distance is set to the standard distance of 400, as is the SA-MP default value. It cannot be set higher. That being said, draw distance comes into play. I cannot see a player past about 150 with maxed out draw distance. That being said, when I aim down a sniper rifle scope, I can see players up to 400 units away. The problem is, they can't see me. I don't want to create a situation where you can't see who is shooting you. They aren't even that far away.

Some screenshots for illustration...

This is the limit of where I can see James, at about 150 units:

Any further back, he's gone:

NOTE: This is based on camera position and not player position.

However, even at up to 400 units, I can see him in the Sniper scope:

But slightly further back, not so:

So to conclude, yes, the maximum range of the Sniper could be 400 units, and the victim does get hit correctly, but they cannot see the shooter, which I think is a problem. People would be livid at dying from someone they can't even see. The maximum range is currently 200, which is actually higher than the 150 visibility range already.

This is probably even worse for players that don't have max draw distance.
Nobody can escape their sins, everyone gets punished whether it takes a day or an eternity.
You can change who you are, but you cannot run from yourself.

Offline PlopZero

• Respect: +1/-5
  • Buster
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: PlopZero
  • Crew: [ O ]
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 12:18:20 pm »
The only thing I agree with from what Mike mentioned is that players with better settings are at an advantage. However, I am pretty sure no one will realize this while actually playing, they would just think the player with max draw distance is just hidden well and will either accept defeat or get a regular dose of anger if they die, but nothing unusual.

On the other hand, it is clear for people with good settings that they are hitting the target but not damaging it, which is for sure livid.

Offline Hank_Montgomery

• Original Gangster
  • Respect: +51/-28
  • Bring 2000 vehicle armor health points back again!
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Hank_Montgomery
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 12:45:05 pm »
At least would be nice to increase the Sniper Rifle shooting range for vehicles, so we can snipe Seasparrows more easily