Author Topic: Known issues with Android version  (Read 863 times)

Offline Mike

• Server Owner
  • Respect: +413/-71
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Mike
  • Discord name: mp2
Known issues with Android version
« on: May 24, 2022, 06:49:28 pm »
As you may be aware, MCNR has opened the gates to all 0.3.7 SA-MP versions, which means SA-MP Android/Mobile can now access the server.

Unfortunately, there are some issues with the Android version. Some we can fix, some we can't, and some we won't.
I wanted to document this somewhere.

Luckily, we can easily detect Android players and apply fixes just for them (in some cases).

Black screen when spawning
Issue: When players first spawn, they are greeted by a black screen.

Solution: Skip spawn selection, force-spawn the player.

Status: Fixed in next update, will force 'last location' spawn.
It would be nice to try and fix spawn selection, though.

Interior enter/exit pickups missing model
Issue: The yellow cone/arrow object model does not exist on Android, so players see a '?' at the doors.

Solution: Change the model.

Status: I don't want to change the model! It's the only one that looks right. You can't change it for certain players.

Auto aim
Problem: There is an auto-aim built into the game! It's off by default though.

Solution: Staff will monitor Android players closely to check for aimbotting. I will be adding an in-game warning about this that shows when you join with the Android version, among other things.

Cuffing
Problem: Cuffed players don't actually get cuffed. They can run around, drive vehicles etc. because the 'cuffed' state doesn't seem to be supported on the Android version of SA-MP.

Solution: Manually preventing players from sprinting, entering vehicles etc. will have to be done. It won't be a pretty solution. I can't make players put their hands behind their back..

Status: Android players will be automatically teleported to jail once cuffed.

Draw distance
Problem: The game's draw distance on the Android version is extremely low. This may cause issues with certain objects loading in. For example the 'changing city' scene will show almost nothing, because buildings etc. are too far away.

Solution: There is no solution to this.

Nametags visible through walls
Problem: Player nametags are visible through all objects/walls.

Solution: I cannot change this. The most I can possibly do is reduce the nametag draw distance (for all players) in interiors.
I could implement a crude line-of-sight check, but that's going to need CPU so not worth it.

Interface/textdraws
Problem: Many textdraws/interface elements will be misplaced, overlapping, too small, too big and so on.

Solution: Make the UI suited for Android.

Status: I won't be making any real effort to improve the UI as long as it's functional, just for a fraction of players that aren't expecting it to be perfect anyway.
Update: I will be moving the info/help popups on the left side of the screen down a bit for Android players so they aren't underneath the '>> TAB' buttons.

Blank dialogs appearing
Problem: Often, 'blank' dialogs appear on the screen, with no text in the dialog or the buttons. It's because, in SA-MP usually, telling the game to show a blank dialog will actually close any open dialogs. There is no other way to close a dialog for the player. The main issue is that the script 'closes' dialogs even if there are none shown, as there's no adverse effect from doing so, until Android came along..

Solution: Don't hide dialogs if there isn't a dialog to hide. It won't fix the issue 100% but it's all I can do.

Status: Done for next update. The script will only hide dialogs if any are actually shown. It will still result in a blank dialog in that situation but at least it's less often.

No skin selection, no job skins
Problem: It appears skin/spawn selection simply doesn't work.
a) It means 'spawn selection' doesn't work. Players have to spawn using 'last location', 'random' or 'property'.
b) Changing skin in a clothes shop or police locker room doesn't work.
c) Going on duty for the first time as a new job doesn't work. This means, for example, you can't play as a cop.

Solution: Bypass/block these features e.g. players can use the skin menu at the counter, and spawn either randomly or at last location.

Status: So the << >> SPAWN inferface does seem to pop up for a brief moment. I may be able to fix it. The way that the MCNR script handles spawn selection is beyond jank (because it has to be to work).

Can't skip intro tutorial
It appears players can't skip the intro tutorial, as it expects players to press SPRINT which is not possible on SA-MP Android while in 'spectator mode'.

Solution: Change the key, or add an additional one to press.

Status: I added 'Y' as another key to press, but I now remember that Y/N and maybe H cannot be detected in 'spectator mode'. I may use F or ALT, which are available and should work.
Update: I have changed the key to 'F' which works fine.

Key names not shown in texts
Problem: Key names don't show in texts, e.g. instead of 'Press SHIFT to skip' it will be left blank e.g. 'Press   to skip' or show internal 'k-codes' such as 'Press ~k~~KEY_NAME_THING~ to skip'.

Solution: Show key binds instead of the actual keys, e.g. 'Press SPRINT to skip' instead of 'Press SPACE/X/whatever to skip'.

CJ skin
Problem: It seems players can get the CJ skin when joining the server, as the skin selection gets skipped and SA-MP therefore never sets a skin for the player.

Solution: Manually set the player's skin, don't rely on SA-MP to do it.

You can't hold Y to open the interaction menu
Problem: Holding the 'extra keys' on Android such as Y/N/H doesn't seem to be detected. This makes it impossible to open the interaction menu via holding Y.

Solution: Players should use /im instead. Maybe there should be a message about this.

You can't tap buttons quickly when breaking into vehicles or the evidence locker
Problem: You can't tap the vehicle enter button or punch very quickly, meaning it takes longer to do things such as breaking into vehicles or the evidence locker.

Solution: I could possibly make it require less hits to complete a break-in. Or players can hold the punch icon, which makes it able to be repeated faster.

Clock not shown
Problem: The clock is not shown in the hud, time does not pass properly, and weather transitions instantly.

Solution: There is no solution. The Android version doesn't seem to support the clock...
The clock already re-syncs every 4 minutes. I could make it sync every second possibly.

If you experience any Android-specific issues, please report them in the usual bug reports section and I'll add them to the list.
If they are exploitable, you need to message me directly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 09:34:04 pm by Mike »
View trailers here.