Author Topic: Tutorial  (Read 2330 times)

Not rated

Offline YellowFlash

• Respect: +21/-15
  • Classic Man
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: YellowFlash
  • Discord name: Abzjor#2830
Tutorial
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:07:39 pm »
Hey Mike, yesterday I was finally able to join your good server, I had a good feel of what's to come on the opening server, and I quite like it, and it can be the source that will bring me back to this game
but one thing I wished was polished abit more, are the tutorial at the start.

I know there is a way to skip it, but then you get just a bunch of text when you do, and you can't do anything until that is completed.(I tried getting into a taxi and said I can't skip tutorial until the texts were over, I don't know if you can skip that too xD).

I was thinking, maybe before anything starts you begin at a virtual world where it's just the player and the Npcs, and you play  through a tutorial of things you will encounter on the server for example;
You're at a petrol station as a mechanic, easy and simple job to understand. make a npc come to a petrol station, and you're there to fix his vehicle or whatever it may be, and do your job as a mechanic, earning money that can be transfered into the real world giving you a start on things maybe, doesn't have to be big money.
or another good option can also be where you introduce the player to finding hidden packages,or
finding vehicles to scrap them for money.

Doesn't have to show every tutorial, But I think something like this would be nice, might be abit hard to script, but a chunk of information being shoved down your throat, is kinda overwhelming.

So I was thinking maybe ease them into the server, keep them focused on one thing, then move onto better things on the server, keeping the players occupied with anything and everything. All with patience playing the game, and learning what's new on the server.
I feel this will also help players remember commands on the server, instead of constatly questions about commands, and where to go and whatnot.

P.s I barely edited this, I just had a idea in my head and just blabbered it here, so this idea can be confusing, so I apologise :D

Offline Skin

• Busta
  • Respect: +0/-0
  • Buster
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:04:00 pm »
Reminds me of runescape lol

Offline Mike

• Server Owner
  • Respect: +413/-71
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Mike
  • Discord name: mp2
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:54:05 pm »
I toyed with this idea for a while. GTA online has a similar thing where it guides you through the activities in the world, an interactive tutorial.

Two reasons I never got around to doing this:
1. Time and effort - Would take time to implement this whereas the current intro tutorial that covers everything took less time.
2. Accessibility - Not sure everyone would want to spend their first hour on the server unable to play with others. I suppose it could be optional and you could opt-in to it after first spawn.

It's something to consider for the future however I can't see it being added any time soon unfortunately, as good as an idea it is. Thanks for the suggestion though!

View trailers here.

Offline YellowFlash

• Classic Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:18:05 am »
yeah I did consider the fact that you've been working on this since 2015 I presume, so I understand ^_^

Offline Uncle Mega

• Respect: +27/-8
  • Ex CM
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Megatron
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:02 am »
I toyed with this idea for a while. GTA online has a similar thing where it guides you through the activities in the world, an interactive tutorial.

Two reasons I never got around to doing this:
1. Time and effort - Would take time to implement this whereas the current intro tutorial that covers everything took less time.
2. Accessibility - Not sure everyone would want to spend their first hour on the server unable to play with others. I suppose it could be optional and you could opt-in to it after first spawn.

It's something to consider for the future however I can't see it being added any time soon unfortunately, as good as an idea it is. Thanks for the suggestion though!
I must agree on this but this is a nice suggestion!
We are about to launch and there's barely time to add new features now.
We are more likely to fix bugs and server's issues.

Offline GtaFreak

• Respect: +38/-6
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: GtaFreak
  • Discord name: GtaFreak#4193
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »
I will however suggest one thing

Can the dialog prompt to do the tutorial disappear on login once the player achieves 100 score?
and just shift it over to /intro again, thanks.

Offline YellowFlash

• Classic Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:01 pm »
Definatly!
If I had any type of experience in scripting, i would've done it myself try to help with some work load, but bugs and fixes come first! and I'm all for that :)

Offline Uncle Mega

• Respect: +27/-8
  • Ex CM
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Megatron
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:44:07 pm »
Definatly!
If I had any type of experience in scripting, i would've done it myself try to help with some work load, but bugs and fixes come first! and I'm all for that :)
+1

Offline Mike

• Server Owner
  • Respect: +413/-71
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Mike
  • Discord name: mp2
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 08:10:58 am »
Revisiting this I don’t think it’s a good investment of my time unfortunately. What we have is better than most servers. An interactive tutorial would just be skipped by most and not be viable for players that don’t speak English.

It would take too king to make.
View trailers here.