Author Topic: San Andreas Army - Where is it?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Mike

• Server Owner
  • Respect: +413/-71
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Mike
  • Discord name: mp2
San Andreas Army - Where is it?
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:55:11 am »
People have been asking me about the army class since MCNR launched. I have said some things here and there to different people but never officially announced anything.

Since MCNR launched we have had the following classes/jobs:
- Civilian
- Police officer
- Paramedic
- Firefighter
- Mechanic
- Prostitute
- Taxi driver

The main thing missing is the army class. There is good reason behind this.

As a cop, when you kill an innocent civilian for example, you need to be punished for that. When a player dies in SA-MP the script knows who killed them - this is handled by SA-MP itself. The only time SA-MP can’t figure out who killed the player that dies is when their vehicle is hit by an explosion.

Because a majority of the deaths from the result of being shot at in a vehicle by a hydra, hunter or rhino tank, there is a major problem in that there will be no way to assign blame for the death. This means we can’t punish army players that blow up an innocent player’s (or even another army player or a cop) vehicle as there is simply no way to find out that they died as a result from the rocket that destroyed the vehicle they are driving.

It also means we can’t give out score/cash to army players that take down suspects in vehicles, because we can’t detect who blew their car up. When the player eventually dies inside the car (or gets out but then dies as the car explodes), it tells the script it was suicide.

So to summarise the problem:
- SA:MP doesn’t tell the script who the killer was when a player dies in their vehicle if it is blown up by someone in a Hydra for example.
- We don’t know when a player fires a rocket or where that rocket is going. We only know when a player presses the fire key but the game doesn’t shoot every time you press that there is a small delay. This delay could be incorporated into a script but it would be unreliable and inaccurate.
- You can’t detect when and where explosions happen and who/what  caused them.
- You can’t detect who or what damaged a vehicle apart from bullets.

I created a topic on the SA-MP forums 5 years ago to try and get some help with this problem and my idea was this:
- When a player in a Hydra, Hunter or Rhino shoots a rocket (which we can sort of detect with key detection), simulate the path of the rocket originating from the vehicles current position and angle. This would involve some 3D maths which is far from my strong point.
- Save the path of the rocket in memory for later. Only remove it from memory once the rocket would have done its damage (maybe 15 seconds).
- When a player dies with no killer responsible and reason ‘suicide’, first simply check if anyone shot a rocket in the area recently.
- If someone did shoot a rocket recently in the area, load their paths stored in memory and check if those paths would have come near the player.

This is not a simple solution in the slightest. It might sound it but there are lots of variables* and it would not be accurate or reliable at all.

* Variables as in things that can change or be different, not as in the programming term.

Additional issues:
- Lag
- Paused players
- Detection of obstacles between rocket origin and final destination requires memory-intensive plugin
- Delay between rocket hitting target and vehicle exploding.
- Difference in target position between  when the rocket got their vehicle and when they died.
- What if you miss then they drive into a gas station? It thinks you got them.

I’m sure some may come to me with ‘simple solutions’ but honestly after thinking on this for 6+ years there is no simple solution.

Because of this issue, my plan was to make the army super restricted to players that would have to be level 100, cop rank 10, and then have to apply on the forums to join the army. This would ensure we don’t have army players that are just going around blowing people up. We will have strict rules for army players and anyone breaking these rules will be banned from the army.

Here is a plan and set of rules I came up with before:

So basically this is not a simple addition. I have hundreds of other things to add and fix and this would take up a lot of time.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding this please let me know.

Thanks.
View trailers here.

Offline Symon

• Busta
  • Respect: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Symon
Re: San Andreas Army - Where is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:46:55 am »
My question is instead:

Is San Andreas Army REALLY needed? I don't think so.

Cops can already blow up people with Hydra (Hi Clara :D) and honestly i can't see the utility of this army. Mike you have a lot of things to do and fix and i think adding one more class will give you just more problems and more things to fix.

There's no way to detect who killed who so leave it as it is.

Probably concentrate on Civilian skills like rapist, terrorist, con artist or something else.

Imho this SAM is not needed, also because i don't see the point in adding it if you're gonna make it super restrict, doesn't make sense.

Offline Mike

• Server Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:24:00 am »
The Hydra/Hunter etc. are only available to level 10 cops currently as a compromise until the army is properly added. They aren't supposed to be like that.
View trailers here.

Offline Symon

• Busta
  • Respect: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Symon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:41 am »
I still think one more "law enforcement class" is not necessary....

Offline Treba

• Enforcer
  • Respect: +32/-78
  • Buster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:05 pm »
I agree with Face's opinion. Criminals are already sufferring from teaming-up cops. Random guys with sticks and stones gathering 6 stars by breaking into houses are just not enough to withstand a team provided with tanks & jets, thus implementing an army team would require to also implement the opposite team with similar abilities. That would break the CnR concept barriers and bring us to some Iraq-RP I think. So, yes, I think it's better to focus on improving what exists by this time.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:04:49 pm by ᛏreba »
Please stop +REP'ing me. I already know I'm most authoritative here

Offline Sewer_Rat

• Enforcer
  • Respect: +14/-24
  • Press -- respect button if you love me <3
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Behave
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 03:17:01 am »
I agree with the two gentlemans above.

Offline Xx_Clara_Cynthia_xX

• Staff member of the month July 2019
  • Respect: +66/-48
  • Meow of the year
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Xx_Clara_Cynthia_xX
  • Discord name: claracynthia
  • Crew: Cat Squads
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 02:44:05 pm »
army is MUST In every CNR server, because army is a part of national guard (second backup of police departement)

Offline Funtastic Power

• Staff of the month August 2019
  • Respect: +40/-14
  • Nrg backtires <3
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Funtastic_Power
  • Discord name: Funta#5401
  • Crew: Killed on Sight
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 02:52:20 pm »
Hmm, I don't think it's a must at this point we don't have something that could go up against the army. Besides it's cops and robbers after all, not army vs terrorist or whatever you get the idea.

Offline Sewer_Rat

• Enforcer
  • Respect: +14/-24
  • Press -- respect button if you love me <3
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Behave
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 04:02:31 pm »
Agreed, cops are already overpowered right now, they have classes that have reduced minimap blip visibility, anti-headshot helmets, special vehicles, creating another faction to go against criminals is not necessary.

Offline Le Pacha

• Street Soldier
  • Respect: +14/-9
  • Buster
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: LePacha
  • Discord name: LePacha
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 06:12:23 pm »
I think adding the army will not change the gameplay or balance since rank 10 cops already have access to military vehicles. That won't improve law enforcement capacities, this is only the implement of another faction.
Beside that, I'm not sure that the army will bring something new to the server: What purpose would they serve ? Would they act like cops ? Or will they  engage against most wanted criminals only? Etc.

If soldiers are added, criminals should have a similar faction (private militia/drug cartel?) but I'm not attracted by that as some people stated before me as this may change the server's gameplay (I think terrorists vs army is not what the majority of us want). Criminals should at least have activities that require military presence. I think they should be added when more activities will be added.

The only thing I'm thinking right now are organized drug cartels that would require the army's presence (army would act like an "elite police"), but that's the only thing that comes in my mind, and that idea isn't that great imo. Maybe giving different tasks to police factions would be a solution? But that would still be a mess I think.

Edit: if a military faction had to be added, I think the National Guard is the best choice like Clara said, maybe we could Rob their warehouse like in the storyline when smuggling will be added ? Lol

Edit 2: Didn't see the "rules" pic the first time the page loaded, so yeah engaging against MW is a good idea imo, but the tasks of the army seem a bit limited I don't know, just kill people, it would be a bit sad ATM to apply for a faction that doesn't allow to do more unless to kill crimis with more efficiency, it would be much less complete than police faction.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:35:35 pm by Le Pacha »

Offline Xeno_70

• Street Soldier
  • Respect: +5/-4
  • Don't be a menace person
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Xeno_
  • Discord name: Death Star#3644
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 06:18:14 pm »
What about army ability ?

Offline Xeno_70

• Street Soldier
  • Respect: +5/-4
  • Don't be a menace person
    • View Profile
  • MCNR name: Xeno_
  • Discord name: Death Star#3644
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:15 pm »
If army doesn't have ability how even that work ?

Offline codeshadow

• Respect: +43/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 06:56:49 pm »
Personally, I do not use any heavy vehicle. I have been playing here since the server was not even open to the public and I have never touched a hydra or hunter yet.  The only reason rank 10 cops are having military vehicle is because army class was not added to the server. If we had army class then army would have those vehicle instead of rank 10 cops. 

Offline Mike

• Server Owner
    • View Profile
Hydra, hunter and rhino removed, army cancelled
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 10:25:37 am »
UPDATE

The Hydra, Hunter and Rhino will be removed from the server. They will also be banned from being spawned by any member of staff. The places where those vehicles spawned have been replaced by the following:
- Hydra replaced by Rustler
- Hunter replaced by Seasparrow
- Rhino replaced by barracks/patriot

The Rustler and Seasparrow remain the only weaponized vehicles in the game with a machine gun. These can be used by rank 10 cops only as of the next update. Any reference to the Army job/faction will be removed in the next update.

To clarify there are two significant reasons why I am doing this:
- They are too powerful.
- I cannot detect if a player blows up someones vehicle with a rocket. Someone in a hunter/hydra could go around killing innocents and it's impossible to detect it. Sure they can report it, but it also means I can't give out XP for takedowns, so why would you even want to use these vehicles? Blame SA-MP's lack of basic functionality.
View trailers here.

Offline Treba

• Enforcer
  • Respect: +32/-78
  • Buster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 11:54:48 am »
UPDATE

The Hydra, Hunter and Rhino will be removed from the server. They will also be banned from being spawned by any member of staff. The places where those vehicles spawned have been replaced by the following:
- Hydra replaced by Rustler
- Hunter replaced by Seasparrow
- Rhino replaced by barracks/patriot

The Rustler and Seasparrow remain the only weaponized vehicles in the game with a machine gun. These can be used by rank 10 cops only as of the next update. Any reference to the Army job/faction will be removed in the next update.

To clarify there are two significant reasons why I am doing this:
- They are too powerful.
- I cannot detect if a player blows up someones vehicle with a rocket. Someone in a hunter/hydra could go around killing innocents and it's impossible to detect it. Sure they can report it, but it also means I can't give out XP for takedowns, so why would you even want to use these vehicles? Blame SA-MP's lack of basic functionality.

This is a great decision man!
Please stop +REP'ing me. I already know I'm most authoritative here